Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Bake Nights







Saturday nights are quickly becoming a baking night for my best girl and I. She has always enjoyed helping me from time to time in the kitchen, but she is now big enough to really do things on her own with my close supervision.
Two weekends ago we all agreed that some sort of cake was totally necessary. This past weekend we were all craving Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches. This coming weekend cake is back on the menu as we will be hosting her PopPop's birthday dinner.
In an attempt to cut out as many processed foods as possible, I have been on the hunt for a great cake recipe and think I may have finally found the "one". It comes from another blogger and is just as easy to make from scratch as it is to buy a store bought mix.

Quick Yellow Cake

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare two 9 inch cake pans with either butter and flour or baking spray (I use baking spray).
Beat butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat until well combined. Beat in flour, salt, baking powder, milk and vanilla. Mix on low for 30 seconds then high for 3 minutes.
Pour into prepared pans and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
Cool on wire racks for 15 minutes before turning cakes out of pans. If the cake is not easily releasing from pan, lay a slightly damp kitchen towel across the bottom of the pan and tap gently to release. *this really works!!!!!
Once cooled completely, frost and enjoy!

*we are still on the hunt for the perfect chocolate buttercream ~ the one we used when we made this cake was from the Hershey's cocoa powder box and was just "ok".
**for our chocolate chip cookies we ALWAYS use the original Toll House cookie recipe. It's a no fail classic.



5 comments:

  1. Oh you made me so hungry on a diet in advance of my holiday and then I see this. I love chocolate cake

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOh now I really want a cookie with some delish ice cream...well I am going past the store to pick up the kids...

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! I was seriously just talking about yellow cake with chocolate frosting with my sister this afternoon. We were both craving it so bad! I will have to try your recipe.

    and I agree- the cookie recipe on the bag is perfect.

    I love that you and your daughter have this tradition going- it will be something she remembers happily about her childhood for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cake looks seriously good Eleanor! Compliments to your little baker!

    Happy weekend,

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try the chocolate frosting from the Barefoot Contessa's chocolate cake.

    ReplyDelete