Friday, April 5, 2013

Weekday Birthday


Yesterday was my husband's birthday and while we never go "over the top" on birthday celebrations, I thought it would be fun to make a regular weeknight something a little more special.
The birthday boy/girl always picks the meal on their special day, and Charlie asked for surf and turf. In lieu of cake (he's not a cake fan) he requested my blueberry pie. Other than taste, there is really no "WOW" factor to pie like there is to a decorated cake, so I made a quick little bunting out of skewers, craft tape and baker's twine.



I thought it would be fun to fill the dining room ceiling with assorted helium balloons. It looked so great that I think we may have a new tradition started here!


Luckily, my son was willing to help me transport them. Most likely because he was barely visible there in the back seat. More likely because I offered to buy him lunch. We had a couple good laughs wrangling them into the car and driving home!



Charlie opened his cards, we shared our meal, and then wrapped it up with that amazing pie. I blogged about this pie last summer on my old blog and it has become my go-to recipe. I baked it in the late afternoon so it was still slightly warm and utter perfection with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.


And to think....there's leftovers. Mmmmmm.

How do you celebrate birthdays in your family?


2 comments:

  1. hi dear! your blog is fantastic!do you want to follow eachother?
    I wait for you soon!
    Kisses from ROME
    Federica
    smartchicdietreadbooksandfly.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to your husband Eleanor! You made the living room look very festive. We always have bunting in the living room and create a special chair for the birthday boy or girl :-) And off course....pie. Your blueberry one looks delicious!

    Happy Sunday!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete