Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Weeknight Chef: Baked Chicken Cheese Enchiladas


Cinco de Mayo is quickly approaching and I thought it high time to start warming up my pitching arm and throw out a Mexican inspired meal or two.
I have been using this easy recipe for years. I have made these enchiladas for our annual Cinco de Mayo party many times and they are always a hit. When I make them for just our family, I am guaranteed two meals from what it renders. In a nutshell, it is not only an easy fix for a weeknight, it provides another dinner and fills our bellies with cheesy goodness. It's no wonder it's a favorite of mine!

Baked Chicken Cheese Enchiladas
adapted from Gourmet Magazine

4oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 c. sour cream
2 c. prepared salsa ~ Note: I use two full 15.5 oz jars of salsa. I have found that only using two cups leaves it too dry.
2c. grated Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese ~ Note: I used Colby Jack this time around
2c. of shredded cooked chicken ~ Note: I used 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts I precooked
1c. frozen corn kernels ~ Note: I have used canned on occasion. Either works fine
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne
Salt and pepper to taste
4 scallions, thinly sliced ~ Note: If I have them on hand I use them, if not, I omit
12-14 soft round 6-8 inch flour or corn tortillas

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In a medium bowl cream together the cream cheese and the sour cream. Stir in 1/2 c. of salsa. Stir in 1c. of grated cheese. In a second bowl toss together the chicken, the corn, cumin, cayenne, salt, pepper, and 1/2 the scallions (if using). Add the chicken mixture to the cheese mixture and stir to combine.
In a baking dish, spread just enough salsa to cover the bottom. Place about 1/3 cup of the filling in a tortilla, roll up and transfer to the baking dish with the seam side down. Repeat process with remaining tortillas and filling. Pour enough salsa over the tops of the tortillas to coat all of them. Sprinkle remaining grated cheese over the top. Transfer to preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.*

*Note~ if I used frozen kernels I add about 10 minutes to the cook time to ensure they are heated through
**Note ~ I only measure the salsa I add to the cream cheese mixture. The rest I eyeball to our personal taste




1 comment:

  1. I must try this recipe. I hope you have settled back to work

    ReplyDelete