Sunday, May 12, 2013

Motherhood





It really doesn't seem possible that my two babies are so grown up. It seems like just yesterday that they were small, helpless and snuggled in my arms. Those amazing, early moments seem so far off now that I find myself wondering if they really happened at all.
One is officially an adult and beginning to navigate the world on his own while the other grows leaps and bounds daily. They need me less and less as the days pass, but I find myself worrying about them more and more.
This world is cruel sometimes and I pray that I have prepared them to face it. I wish I could keep them here at home forever where I can keep watch over them. Where I can be there to wipe away their tears when life disappoints them and reassure them that everything will be ok.
Sometimes I think motherhood was easier when they were little and innocent and I could shield them from the ugly things they need not see. I realize now that my job will never be done ~ it just changes. My role in their lives is constantly redefined as they grow older although my heart will always long to hold them in my arms safe and sound.

Happy Mother's Day to you and yours!

4 comments:

  1. so sweet to read. sometimes i have to stop myself from wanting him to grow up. like that would make my job as a mom so much easier. i know better than that. my kiddo is 3 months away from turning 9. that seems impossible. he was just a baby! but the reality is that he is growing up so fast and i'm always torn between wanting him to be more independent and wanting him to stay just as he is today. thank you for a wonderful perspective. being a mom is a crazy thing. and really it's the best thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photo's of you and your kids! Happy Mother's day Eleanor!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 9 more months until my only is like your oldest, navigating the World as an Adult. It really is amazing how fast they grow. Lovely post...Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Mother's Day! Your children are beautiful and lucky to have you as their mom.

    ReplyDelete