Monday, May 27, 2013

Sangria


Mother Nature decided she wasn't into my idea of a beach barbeque on Saturday night so she dropped the temperature about 40 degrees and sent rain and blustery winds our way all day Friday and Saturday. Not the best way to kick off a holiday weekend. Luckily, our friends said "weather be damned" and invited us over to their lovely home for a Spanish inspired meal.
The meal and the appetizers alone deserve their own post. My girlfriend Maria is a great cook and puts out these delicious munchies. She takes the typical cheese and crackers to a whole other level serving olives and meats alongside them. I could stuff myself silly on the starters alone. In fact, yesterday at the grocery store I found myself throwing some meats and even some Mediteranean olives into my shopping cart because I couldn't get them out of my head.
The other thing I couldn't stop thinking about was the Sangria she served. I don't mind Sangria, but I have never had one that left me inspired to make it myself or even think of it as a viable drink option. This Sangria has totally changed my mind. After I made my husband take a sip of my drink he told me I needed to get this recipe from Maria. No need to worry honey, I had already planned on it.  
I recreated it yesterday doubling the recipe (don't judge) and it was just as good. I didn't use all the fruits in the recipe, I took a cue from my girlfriend and sliced up apples and threw in whole raspberries alongside the lemon slices. Eating the liquor soaked fruit after enjoying your drink just adds to the whole experience.

White Zinfandel Sangria
from epicurious.com

1 750-ml bottle of chilled White Zinfandel
1/2 cup peach schnapps
2 tbsp Cointreau or other orange liqueur
2 tbsp sugar
2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
1 lemon, sliced
1 orange, sliced
1 peach, sliced into wedges
1 10 ounce bottle of chilled club soda
Ice cubes

Mix the first 8 ingredients in a tall pitcher. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Mix in club soda. Fill 6 wineglasses (or oversized iced tea glasses like I do) with ice cubes. Pour sangria over ice and serve.


6 comments:

  1. Ok, I need to make this!!!!! Thanks for posting the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! I'm so making the sangria. Might need to dream up am occasion this weekend just to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sangria always reminds me of holidays, sunshine and fun times

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm having a sangria right now. Hope you had a fab weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This drink reminds me of sunny Spanish holidays!Gorgeous:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete