Sunday, May 19, 2013

Summer Refresh

Last fall I threw away my summer duvet and shams while switching out to my fall/winter set. It had to have been about 7-8 years old, the twilight of life for a duvet in a household with two kids and two dogs (one of whom sleeps in the bed every night and the other who tries to sleep there when no one is looking!).
I had in mind a bold printed duvet in black and white and was inspired when I first saw this Nate Berkus set at Target:

Nate Berkus Nepal Chevron

 I thought this set could be just the right graphic "pop" for my blue/gray bedroom. It reminded me a bit of an Ikat print, my favorite summer print of all time. With my coral red nightstands, this could be absolute perfection.
The bedding was on sale at Target this past week and when I went in to purchase it I stood in front of the shelf dumbstruck. It suddenly didn't look like Ikat to me anymore. It looked very "tribal" and not at all suited to my taste. You may remember from my kitchen adventures how I sometimes dream outside my box but always end up coming back to my comfort zone. This set was definitely outside my comfort zone.
While I was standing there, I noticed another Nate berkus set:


Nate Berkus Diamond Checker set in navy blue

I started thinking that navy blue was definitely within my comfort zone and maybe that was the color palette to go with. Just like in the kitchen. I left Target empty handed and spent the whole week googling navy blue bedding sets from all the usual suspects, Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel, West Elm etc. etc. and still nothing. Then yesterday I found myself back at Target staring at the set once again and wondering if I could love it. I knew I had some perfect floral pillows in navy with pops of coral in the print that would go.
I decided what the hell ~ I can always return it if I hate it right?



I don't hate it at all.
In fact, I adore it.
I picked up the small woven accent pillow at Target too and the whole set up has me swooning.
A sweet girlfriend of mine had given me two silver Kate Spade frames as a gift and I was waiting to figure out the perfect place to put them. It didn't take long to figure out the nightstands were that perfect place.


Later in the afternoon I stole these oversized stripe pillows from the family room and threw them behind the others. Perfection! The bed looks complete and my bedroom has that summer feel I was longing for.
And 11 pillows on the bed?
Why, of course ~ is there really such a thing as too many pillows?

3 comments:

  1. awesome. it all quite compliments the color of your bedroom wall. looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to dive into the bed! Sounds like I'm going to have to fight off some dogs and some children to do so! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks divine and you can never have enough pillows on the bed in my mind:)Have a lovely week:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete