Friday, June 21, 2013

Seashell Wreath



Each year around Memorial Day, I add a few nautical touches around the house to bring a bit of that summer magic indoors. One of my favorite things to do is to hang a seasonally inspired wreath to the oversize mirror that hangs in our foyer. I never have to worry about outside elements destroying it and it adds a warm welcome to our home.
I had made a simple wreath of shells, florals and chiffon ribbon many, many years ago and since I had kept it in an all white palette it had really stood the test of time. Unfortunately, time takes it's toll and when I pulled it out this year I realized it has just become too shabby to salvage.
We needed a new wreath but my creativity was at a standstill and I was stumped as to the direction I wanted to take. In fact, my dining room table spent a good week or two (or three!) covered with bags of shells, a naked grapevine wreath and assorted rolls of ribbons as I tried to sort out what would be "perfect". Just when I was about to give up hope, I stumbled upon a bag of reindeer moss at Pottery Barn and knew it was the perfect starting point. After dinner that same night, armed with a glue gun, I got to work.
The only tools I needed were:
a glue gun and glue sticks
a grapevine wreath
1 bag of reindeer moss
assorted shells

I glued down the reindeer moss first then worked out the pattern the shells would go in before attaching them to the wreath. I arranged them according to size, shape and color until it felt just right. Then I glued them down.
Voila!
The perfect summer wreath ~ kitsch not included!

Happy First Day of Summer!


3 comments:

  1. A lovely wreath Eleanor! Happy summer to you and your family too!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live this I am going to make this for our holiday home which is beside the beach not sure it will be as good

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. Hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete