Monday, August 12, 2013

Bourbon and Coke





I certainly don't have many fond memories of being sick as a child. Those memories read more like war stories: best forgotten about and only shared with a very select audience. Mainly my parents; and occasionally my children. On one side there's a pretty accurate recollection with the other occasionally painting the picture of me as more of a damsel in distress type. I'll let you figure decide who hears what version.

There are a few times as a child that being sick paid off. Like the time I had the flu so bad and my father felt so sorry for me that he arrived home from work one night with the Annie record. Once I was on the mend, I would put that album on the turntable and sing along like an orphan who had to sing for her supper. I'm pretty sure I imagined I was an orphan too. It was way cooler and much more dramatic than being that little red head who gets scooped up by a millionaire and suddenly her life is just peachy keen.

Aside from the occasional gift that catered to my theatrical side, the best memories of being sick involved a magical spoonful of the most delicious medicine ever. EVER. If you were a kid in the 70's like I was then you probably were lucky enough to get a spoonful of coke syrup when you had a bellyache. Coke syrup was so sweet and so delicious...I would pray that my symptoms warranted a hefty spoonful no matter how ill I felt.

When I found a recipe in the most recent issue of Garden & Gun magazine for a reengineered Bourbon and Coke I took note only because I happen to be married to a bourbon fan. When I saw that this recipe called for coke syrup in it I tore it out immediately because I happen to be a coke syrup fan. The idea of mixing that delicious serum into an alcoholic beverage was mind blowing to me. Who comes up with these ingenius ideas?

You guys have no idea how good this drink is. BEST BOURBON AND COKE EVER. I kid you not. And the credit goes to the coke syrup. Hands down. You will want to make this. Again and again and again and....well, you get the idea.

Reengineered Bourbon and Coke
from Garden & Gun magazine

For the syrup:
1/4 cup of Coca-Cola
1/4 cup of sugar

For the cocktail:
2 oz. Maker's 46 or other bourbon
1/4 oz. Coca-Cola syrup
2 dashes Angostura bitters
Lemon twist, to garnish
(or lime if you love them like I do)

To make the syrup, bring the Coke to a simmer in a very small saucepan. Add the sugar and stir until it dissolves. Allow it to cool, then refrigerate until it is ready to use. 
To make the cocktail, combine bourbon, syrup, and bitters in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake vigorously, then strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with lemon twist and serve. 

2 comments:

  1. When we had a toothache when we were younger whiskey was put on the tooth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mum used to give us this foul fish oil, a huge incentive never to be ill.

    ReplyDelete