Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Peach Salsa




Once a week I head over to our local farm market and stock up on enough produce to get us through the next 6 days. I never go with a list. I buy only what appeals to me, fruits whose ripe aromas waft through the air and seduce me as I walk by. Veg that looks so vibrant and fresh I can't help myself but fill my basket with it. Of course there are the staples too: onions and potatoes maybe a head of garlic. The necessary parts to my meal planned week. 
Fruit always goes into our brown bagged lunches to provide that sweet little "after" treat or is hungrily grabbed and devoured when I arrive home in order to tie me over until dinner is ready. I'll take a juicy black plum over a slice of cake any day. Or a handful of red grapes alongside a few chunks of sharp cheese. Sinking my teeth into an apple every day all fall is something I look forward to all year. There is only one fruit that I adore but struggle to just pick up and take a hefty bite out of.
Peaches.
I don't know why, I can't explain it, but I walk by the fruit bowl filled will delicious Jersey peaches sitting on our countertop and I simply cannot be enticed to lift one directly to my lips. Sliced and prepared into a dish or dessert is a whole other story.
That bowl laden with overripe peaches ended up churning out one of our best meals last week. I had planned to make chicken tacos in another attempt to turn taco night into something more exciting and "different" for Charlie. All day at work I was sorting out in my head what we had in the pantry to liven it up with when I suddenly remembered that bowl of peaches that were on their last legs. I knew I had a couple good sized Jersey tomatoes on hand as well that could lend themselves to a fresh peach salsa.
Aside from our tacos being simply amazing,  this salsa has no oil in it which means it keeps beautifully in the fridge and was definitely devoured with some chips the following day. It's easy, fresh and delicious. It also spared a whole bowl of peaches from a dismal future in the trash can.

Peach Salsa
4 medium peaches diced
2 large tomatoes diced
1/2 sweet onion diced
2 garlic cloves diced
1 or 2 jalapenos seeded and diced
1 tsp of lime juice
1/4 tsp of freshly ground black pepper
handful of parsley leaves - Cilantro would be awesome but I have parsley growing in my garden so I used that.

Mix all ingedients together in a bowl and let sit at room temperature for about 15-20 minutes before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment