Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Dog Days of Summer












Summer is coming to an end. I can feel it. I can smell it. I can see it in the haze of the sunlight. It has suddenly taken on more subdued, golden tones. It's pitch black again when I rise in the morning and the sky has darkened drastically now by 8pm.
I feel desparate and frantic, as if time is dictated by a giant hourglass and I am watching the grains of sand swiftly slipping by. There are so many things I still want to do. So many thoughts, ideas and plans that have yet come to fruition. I look at the calendar and all the upcoming obligations in work and life and I feel as if I'm gasping for breath in the pinch of it all.
I feel like my quality of life is so compromised in the Monday through Friday grind. Eat, sleep, drive, work, drive again, cook dinner, clean up then start the pattern all over again. My brain becomes mushy begging for a creative outlet and freedom and so I find myself sitting in front of the computer at 4am with a cup of coffee in hand. I scroll through Pinterest looking for images that will feed my soul and provide just enough inspiration to help me make it through another day.
Before I know it we are at the weekend. 48 glorious hours of freedom! Two full days to just be outside and breathe. This summer has been jam packed with food, oh, the food! and fun, and doing things we haven't done in way too long a time. I want to stay outside and never come back indoors.
There are still a lot of things on my summer bucket list and I am determined to cross them off before summer has slipped away for good. Still on my list:

~backyard camping with my best girl
~beach bbq'ing with friends
~an all day family bike adventure
~go on a long hike somewhere beautiful
~go to the beach! I have only been to the beach once this summer and that was in Maine!

What is still on your summer bucket list?

photos from top:
backyard bocce, family tennis matches, backyard football games, brunching with friends, swimming at my brother's house in upstate NY,  where you can find me most weekends

2 comments:

  1. As I was reading your post I suddenly felt like I needed to make a list of things to do before the summer ends. Ive been enjoying summer and been busy as a bee (in a good way) but I have been for a swim ONCE all summer, and that was just a quick 5 min dip in a friend's pool. So that is on my to-do list.
    Emily
    www.emilyleclerc.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a little sad that summer is ending and our schools are opening again on Monday! I do like autumn and all the colour though and I still have loads of projects for the house to finish which I left undone when the good weather arrived!That should keep me busy for a bit:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete