Sunday, January 19, 2014

Football Sunday



Football Sundays are a big deal around here. My boys yell, cheer and pace the house regularly from early September until well into the start of the new year. Since I cannot for the life of me understand the sport (despite my husband's valiant attempts to teach me) I happily take my place in the kitchen finding ways to fill their bellies with all sorts of decadent fare.
Yesterday I was sorting through recipes I had torn out of my magazine subscriptions trying to meal plan the upcoming week when I stumbled across this recipe I had torn out of the October issue of Southern Living magazine. 
Sloppy Cola Joe Dogs.
Yes, you read that right. Sloppy Joe's made with cola. There was no question that they would love it. After all, it contains two of my sons favorite food groups: beef and soda. (What can I say? He's19...)
My husband dressed his with banana peppers and pickles from his father's garden and the boy and I just topped ours with shredded cheese. The sky could be the limit with toppings. While they won't go on a weekly meal rotation, it's perfect for football watching or serving at a casual gathering. Definitely going into my recipe archive.

Sloppy Cola Joe Dogs
adapted from Southern Living Magazine

1 medium size red onion, thinly sliced
2 tbsp. olive oil
11/2 lbs. ground beef (or turkey)
1 6oz can of tomato paste
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 cup of spicy, fruity cola (recipe recommends Dr. Pepper, I used regular Pepsi)
8 hot dog buns

Sauté onion in hot oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until caramel colored. About 4-5 minutes
Add ground beef to skillet and cook over medium high heat until meat crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain.
Return beef to skillet. Stir in tomato paste, garlic and Worcestershire sauce and cook until mixture thickens and color darkens. Stir in cola and 1/2 cup of water and cook, stirring constantly 6-8 minutes or until bubbly.
*note: I set a timer for 8 minutes and stirred occasionally and it came out just fine*
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve immediately.



1 comment:

  1. These look devilishly delish! I think I'd eat the sloppy joes as "dip" with those ruffly chips, mm, mm.

    ReplyDelete