Friday, February 21, 2014

Evolution



It all started this time last year when all I wanted to wear were oversize, draped cardigans with skinny jeans and ankle boots. I began purging the hell out of my closets reducing them down to only one. I craved less structure and more comfort and creativity. Then, after over a decade of being a blonde, I started thinking about dying my hair closer to my natural color to save on both time and money. Spending 4 hours in a chair at a salon is not my idea of how to have a day off. Not to mention the cost of base color and whole head highlights. I needed to simplify.
It's become a resounding theme in my life.
In November I finally took the plunge. My hairdresser has been doing my hair for almost 13 years now. She is very stylish and has a great eye. I trust her implicitly. When she said that there is no way she was dying my hair all the same shade of brown because it would look to heavy and overwhelming I agreed. Not only did she change the color but she changed where I part my hair and even how it is layered.
It was drastic and a full departure from my typical style but it was so, so right. It propelled me into the direction I was slowly headed anyway. Albeit taking baby steps. I've been streamlining my wardrobe even more now since I've adopted a uniform of sorts and I'm very specific about what can come back into my closet. This whole evolution  just might get me down to that 10 item wardrobe I long for!
I feel confident and more comfortable in my own skin and getting dressed has become effortless. I have long said that as I grew older I wanted to nail down a more uniform look - remember Meryl Streep in It's Complicated? I swooned over her wardrobe in that movie. Bohemian blended with a little bit of the classics. Wardrobe perfection. 

Do find that your style evolves over the years or do you stick with the same tried and true looks?


2 comments:

  1. there must be something in the air! I have been obsessing this past year about simplifying my wardrobe (and life of course)
    if you haven't already, take a look at this - http://www.wideeyedlegless.com/
    it will maybe help you get to that 10 piece closet! (bags don't count, right?)
    we make life way more complicated and stressful than it needs to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look beautiful on the photographs Eleanor. It must have been such a difficult step to take to change your hair colour after such a long time. Mine is mostly (white) grey now, with a few strands of blond :-). I don't really mind. I am quite happy with the way it looks.

    I don't really thing that my style evolves. I mostly wear simplistic clothes, like the ones you described. But when having a party, I love to dress for the occasion :-)

    Wishing you a happy week!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete