Saturday, February 8, 2014

Tiny House

image via

image via

image via

image via

image via

Lately I spend my time dreaming of cabins in the middle of nowhere and tiny houses nestled in the most bucolic of settings. With my recent ramblings about my desire to visit the Smoky Mountains and be in Tennessee, it probably comes as no surprise. I have started thinking about what life could be like if we maintained minimal overhead ~ and yes, I mean in more than just finances! I contemplate things like having a well vs cistern and do these newer composting toilets really not smell so bad?
While decisions like that are not in my immediate future, it would be easy to move into such tight quarters as a second home or weekend getaway. Our little family is so tight knit that we could do that in a snap.
But what about living like that on a full time basis? We would have to get rid of 90% of our things. What would we be able to part with and what would pull on our heart strings and be hard to walk away from?
I could pare down my dinnerware collection and some of my kitchen tools. I could very easily pick only my favorite clothing items and get rid of the rest. I could sell the furniture and most of the tchotchkes that fill our house. But I could never live without books. I could function with a library close enough to visit every few weeks and I could scale down my immense collection a bit, but there would have to be ample book storage somehow squeezed in.
I think of a quote from the song I Need Fun In My Life by The Drums.
"The less you own the more freedom you have."
The truth in that thought is still not enough to make me imagine living without (most of) my book collection.

If forced to reduce your belongings, what would you struggle to part with?


No comments:

Post a Comment