Saturday, March 1, 2014

Bar Cart Lessons






When Target released their bar cart last year I was instantly in love. The muted brass color and wood combination was perfection. It made the bright brassy ones you stumble across every now and again at a thrift store seem crazy and garish. However, the $129.99 price tag seemed a little steep to me. I held off and kept scouring the thrift stores for a less expensive version.
When I found this antique fold over table I was thrilled. It was perfect for my space and less than half the price! I moved it in and all seemed well with the world. Then one day the art work hanging over it didn't seem right anymore. I sold it on Craig's List, did a little DIY and started a little gallery of thrifted art I had fallen in love with. All was well again until one morning a few weeks later when I decided my silver star burst mirror didn't seem right with all the rich wood tones in the room. I started searching for a replacement. As time went on I began to feel more and more unhappy with the room again. 
Last weekend I stood in front of my antique table staring it down. It needs to be refinished desperately ~ but in what color? It feels heavy and bulky. Maybe it's just not the right piece for the space after all. Since buying it I had become unsatisfied with all of these other things I own. All this changing and moving things around was becoming tiresome and possibly expensive. My mind went back to that darn Target bar cart. Should I just buy the thing and end this unrest?
Then something dawned on me. I had picked up a pair of sale boots and two tops that I had decided I didn't want or need. As I returned them I realized that those 3 "great deals" I had gotten added up to the cost of the bar cart. I mean, really....
You can bet your bottom dollar that I scooted right over to Target after doing my returns and picked up the bar cart and a $7.00 clearance lamp shade for a vintage wooden lamp I had found. I ended up moving all my furniture back into place as it was before adding the antique table and put the bar cart in the spot I had originally imagined it would go. Perfection. And guess what? My star burst mirror looks right again as does everything else I already owned. The only thing I need to do is to recover my two wing back chairs and I'm thinking a navy and white ikat print might be just the ticket.
So thank you Target bar cart for teaching me two lessons:
1. Sometimes I think I'm saving money then realize I spent the same on little crap and
2. For making me also realize that I should just hold out/save up for the things I really desire because I will never be satisfied until I have the real thing.
On another note, Target gave me a 10% discount since it was the floor model and then I used my RedCard for another 5% off. Total win.
Now what to do about that gorgeous gold flatware they just got in.....

p.s. Don't worry about that antique table. It might find new life housing the sewing and embroidery machine I got for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment