Sunday, March 23, 2014

When You See It




The first step to overcoming addiction is to recognize and admit it, right?
Well then, here we go:
"Hi, my name is Eleanor and I'm addicted to chairs."
It all started back in the fall when I found caned wing back chairs for a mere $30 for the pair. They are perfect in my living room but displaced a gorgeous pair of wooden chairs I inherited from my grandparents. This was fine by me because my grandparent's chairs are very dainty and I always cringed a little when someone sat in them for fear that they could easily break. I moved them to our home office where they looked a mere "meh" but in the moment I was ok with it. 
About two months ago I stumbled upon the black leather chair with a sleek, low profile and casters on the front legs. Casters! It was too fabulous to pass up at only $25 and I knew it would look sleek in the office with my pony hair ottoman/cube as a side table. Black leather alongside my vintage camera and globe collection? Perfection if you ask me.
But you know what this means.
Once again, my grandparents chairs were displaced. They look great with my dining table and are perfectly suited to be used with it, but I don't have a spare inch of space to keep them in there. I already have 6 chairs that match my table in that room and while the table can actually seat 10 very comfortably when expanded, I don't leave it that way all the time. Since these chairs have emotional value as well as sentimental to me they are currently sitting askew in the dining room until I figure this all out. 
Last weekend my son and I were back at ReStore and I gasped aloud when I saw this EMERALD GREEN LEATHER WING BACK WITH BRASS NAIL HEADS. I mean, really...have you EVER seen anything more beautiful in your life?
I sat in it, I touched it, I stood back from it and shook my head with disbelief that such an amazing piece of furniture could exist. I Instagrammed a picture of it to ask my friends across the globe what I should do. Naturally there was an overwhelming response to buy it. Even more confused, I paced the room as I tried to sort out in my head what I could do with it. The answer didn't come but I knew for sure that I could never walk away from a chair as fine as this. The ladies who volunteer at ReStore and know me quite well by now walked past one by one commenting about how this chair was so "me". It was so me. I must have it.
 I asked my son to help me examine it quickly to ensure it was intact and stable and we discovered one of the back legs was cracked straight through the wood. I was devastated. How do you even fix that without replacing the whole leg? 
So I walked away. ( Yes, you read that correctly.)
But fate is a fickle character and yesterday while on my usual Saturday visit to ReStore I spied it still sitting there. And now it was half price breaking the bank at a whole $30. It is currently in my garage as I type, flipped upside down with the leg glued and clamped. Where is this chair going you ask? I don't quite know. But I do know this: in the game of thrifting, you've gotta buy it when you see it because you might never see something quite like it again.

p.s. If our leg repair doesn't work, I already found a professional furniture maker who offered to fix it for me. He lives in Maine but that's just a minor detail. ;)
p.p.s. I really wish I had a library painted black like my dear friend Sarah because my oh my wouldn't an emerald green wing back look stunning in a room like that?
p.p.p.s. On the up side, at least there is no shortage of seating in this house.

4 comments:

  1. What a great find Eleanor! I am sure you will find a beautiful destination for it in your house!!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I am counting on.
      Have a great weekend Madelief!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. You are welcome to come and sit in it and sip some wine whenever you want Lovely. xo

      Delete