Friday, June 6, 2014

Strawberry Girl







I'd been checking the website every day for weeks. Waiting with heavy anticipation for my local u-pick farm to say they were ready. I was late on the draw for strawberries last year and was determined that this year I would be there, basket in hand, to pick the first ones that were ready to go.
The 80 degree days we had last week were exactly what those delicious little ruby colored nuggets needed. Saturday morning we were up and out of the house first thing to pick before it got too crowded and the sun grew too hot in those open fields. Charlie took one end of a row and I took the other. For just over an hour we worked in silence finally meeting somewhere in the middle.
We carried our bounty to the pay station. 20 pounds of summer bliss filled those boxes. As we drove home I worried it wasn't enough to get us through until next June. I changed my mind after I spent all afternoon cleaning and hulling them, but am beginning to wonder if I shouldn't run back this coming Saturday for another 10 pounds.
Here's what 20 pounds of strawberries yielded us:

2 gallon bags of frozen berries for the winter
1 gallon of strawberry vodka that is currently fermenting in my pantry
8 jars of this Strawberry Balsamic Black Pepper Jam ~ I could of made 20 pounds of this stuff it's that good!
6 jars of Strawberry Margarita Jam
and 8 jars of Strawberry Lemon Marmalade.
Isn't summer great?


p.s. I titled this post from one of my favorite childhood books by my all time favorite children's author Lois Lenski. Her books are magical.


No comments:

Post a Comment