Monday, December 22, 2014

NYC At Christmas







One of Ryan's favorite things to do at Christmas is spend a day in NYC. She loves everything about New York. Since Charlie hates everything about New York we started leaving him home a few years ago and making it a girls only outing. 
There really is nothing like the city at Christmastime. From seeing the tree in Rockefeller Center to shopping on 5th Ave, New York City feels like Christmas should feel. It is magical. It is the stuff you see in movies.
We always start out by seeing the tree first, then spending a good hour wandering around Anthropologie. If you already thought Anthro stores are amazing and inspiring then hold on to your hat because you haven't seen anything like the one in Rock Center. While we were there, I decided and declared aloud that when I die and get to heaven I really hope it looks like that Anthropologie. For real. I mean, it's just so.damn.pretty. it kills me. Luckily Ryan thinks it's pretty neat too so she willingly browses around with me while I soak in all the loveliness.
This year we headed into Hell's Kitchen for a ramen lunch then walked through Times Square because it dawned on me that I have never brought Ryan to Times Square. She was awed. I mentally high fived myself. We did some Christmas shopping, stopped for cupcakes at Magnolia Bakery then realized it was getting so congested the closer we were to Rockefeller Center we could barely move down the sidewalks. I took it as our cue to get the hell out of there. While I enjoy our outing as much as she does, the days when I dreamed of living in the hustle and bustle of Manhattan are long gone. I can barely stand it for more than a few hours. Nowadays I dream of mountains, wide open spaces and a home with nary a neighbor in sight.
But it is still nice to see those bright lights and that big city every once in a while.

3 comments:

  1. Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Eleanor! I enjoyed your photo's from NY. What a great town to visit, especially around Christmas time. Oh that tree!!!

    Love,

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to NYC many times. Never at Christmas though! Must add it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. On my goodness. Your daughter looks all grown up. You guys look great.

    ReplyDelete