Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Citrus Season


The first Christmas Charlie and I spent together, we went to his parents house for dinner since my family always celebrated on Christmas Eve. His mother served the meal buffet style and as I made my way down the table she had a dish of fruit cocktail out. Always the fruit lover, I took a scoop and when I sat down to eat it I was blown away. 
It was the simplest combination of fresh grapefruit, navel oranges, red seedless grapes and maraschino cherries but I had never had anything like it before. It was delicious. It was one of those times when I walk away from a meal determined to recreate it as soon as possible.
Fifteen years later, I've tired of our trusty old "fruit cup" (as we nicknamed it) but I still crave citrus all winter long. Just slicing a grapefruit or peeling an orange always satisfies but I have found myself looking for other ways to make the most of citrus season.
When I found the recipe for Mason Shaker's Mid Winter Margarita I didn't hesitate to whip up a batch and since then they have been on constant repeat. Shortly after I found a recipe for fish tacos with Grapefruit Pico de Gallo in the December issue of Self magazine. We only make fish tacos in this house so I prepared the fish my usual way then topped them with the Grapefruit Pico de Gallo. It was the perfect combination! "A party in your mouth" as the saying goes. And just in time to keep incorporating citrus into our diet this winter.
I figure the healthy grapefruit pico negates too many grapefruit margaritas, right?


Grapefruit Pico de Gallo
adapted from Self magazine

2 pink grapefruit (I used 4 because I was feeding a crowd), supremed (which is just segmenting it from the pith and membrane - a grapefruit knife works wonders and saves the peeling step)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (I was out of cilantro so I subbed parsley and everyone still loved it)
1 tsp seeded and minced jalapeƱos  (I used two whole jalapeƱos because I felt like it)
Combine in a bowl and set aside.
Put on top of everything because it is THAT delicious.
You'll thank me later.

3 comments:

  1. Omg yum. I'm super paranoid about eating food from other people's kitchens (control freak thing, maybe you can relate?) but if I could, I would pop in and make the margs and let you handle these 100% as they look and sound amazing. Fish tacos require a delicate touch and I'll readily admit I'm not great at making them. I love citrus too. I actually eat whole lemons and limes. Most people find that crazy but some people get it. I might try and make these. I'll definitely make the margs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS-do we have the same countertops? Mine are zodiaq (Quartz) and the color is Vesta Pearl, which is no longer made.

      Delete
    2. I can only eat food someone else has prepared in their home kitchen if I really like the person and they do not gross me out in anyway. In the workplace however, there are few people I would accept a homemade treat from. And this is coming from a woman who gifts people her jams, jellies, pickles and brandied cherries. Go figure.
      I love love love citrus too. In fact, we devoured this week's navel oranges so quickly that I made a grocery run just to buy another half dozen because the thought of not taking one to work each day was unbearable. I also squeeze half a lemon into a sports bottle of water every morning because lemon water is divine and is also supposed to be a "cleanser". With all these margaritas I've been drinking I need as much cleansing as possible!
      And no, our countertops are not the same. Mine are shitty laminates with a fancy beveled edge. Since we have never planned on living here forever and the way home values plummeted we have not replaced. No amount of beautiful countertops or upgraded kitchens will restore lost equity no matter what those home renovators say!

      Delete