Saturday, March 21, 2015

House Hunters: A Farm In North Carolina


Whew!
I'm glad I got that last post off my chest. Being in a holding pattern is tough business. You want to be happy and live in the moment, but you also don't want to give up your dreams or the avid chasing of them. And speaking of dreams, that farmhouse I teased you with yesterday is a total dream come true in my opinion.
Located in Carthage, NC this beauty lacks mountain views and a Tennessee zipcode, but might just make up for it with everything else. First off, look at how seriously cute and quaint this home's exterior is. Cape Cod style homes are my absolute favorite and this cottage is a close contender.
This, my friends, is Americana at it's finest.





The view from the front porch is pretty divine.


A pond with a fountain? The fountain isn't a deal maker for me, but it's not a deal breaker either. The pond however, is definitely a perk.


I think this may very well be my favorite part. 
Yes, you heard me right. This barn just might be my very favorite part. If you know anything about me then you've already figured out that this would be the stage for some unbelievable dinner parties. And you're all invited.
You're welcome.



The kitchen has bones I could definitely work with and I don't mind the butcher block counter tops. Double windows over the sink get a thumbs up.


Repainting needed and there's a ceiling fan in the living room that I cropped out. That ceiling fan would become a chandelier or amazing ceiling fixture asap.


That little built in bookcase under the stairs? 
L-O-V-E


The house was built in 1920 so you know there are wood floors under that rug. Looks like mostly cosmetic upgrades in the bedrooms too.

So here are the facts:
The house sits on just under 8 acres which is an ideal size for us. Aside from the barn, it actually has paddocks that are wired and plumbed, chicken coops, tobacco barns and A TWO STORY COTTAGE ON THE PROPERTY.
And the price isn't crazy believe it or not. It's not dirt cheap pay cash for it, but for all the features and charm I think it's actually pretty reasonable.

The perks:
1. The middle school has a decent rating and the high school is ok for such a rural location.
2. It's just over an hour from my mom and 4 hours from Charlie's parents. It's so close to my mom that I might scoot down for a weekend soon and go check it out.
3. The charm is almost too much too handle. I can see our things in that house. I can make this house a showstopper because I am already decorating it in my mind.
4. The outbuildings are exactly what we would be hoping for already there and in good condition. In fact the listing states that the owners are residing the barn and putting in a new septic system by the end of April. That's huge.
5. A 2 story cottage!!! Guest house or studio...I only wish there was a picture of it online because my mind is imaging all sorts of fabulousness.
6. It's an hour from Raleigh, just over an hour from Greensboro and an hour from Fayetteville. It's rural but pretty centrally located which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The bummers:
1. It's smack in the middle of NC which means no mountains and no TN
2. There's a decent amount of cosmetic work inside but to be honest that excites me more than scares me. The $$$ to do cosmetics may be the only thing that puts that on the bummer list.
3. Not sure about the town. Doing research on it shows that for a town with just over 2,000 residents many live under the poverty line. We definitely need to learn more about the area before we could make any decisions. 

I mentioned yesterday that this photo of the house reminded me of Anne of Green Gables. Anne was one of my favorite childhood characters and that movie! Megan Follows and the inimitable Colleen Dewhurst as Marilla. I must have watched that movie hundreds of times. I can almost see them together, walking through that picket fence, the kindred spirits that they were. 


"Oh, it's delightful to have ambitions. I'm so glad that I have such a lot. And there never seems to be any end to them ~ that's the best of it. Just as soon as you attain to one ambition you see another one glittering higher up still. It does make life so interesting."
~Anne Shirley
Anne of Green Gables

So what do you think of this one?


6 comments:

  1. This looks lovely! I hope everything goes well for you guys, either way. I'm a fan of NC (Raleigh is relatively close to you!), so I am biased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! NC is so pretty and being close to my mom would not be a bad thing - she's lived way too far away for way too long now. :)

      Delete
  2. I love it! And don't think I won't come down for a dinner party in the barn! Quick drive for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm holding you to it Stephen Andrew!

      Delete
  3. wow, the house looks so charming and amazing! From the pictures it looks like it has such good bones! It sits on such huge property... so probably will require a lot of TLC from you... as long as you are up for it ;)

    The husband and I are looking for our house in san francisco bay area... the real estate market here is ridiculous! Most houses/townhouses/condos are near or over a million.. and most of them get sold within a few days of listing... over asking price! Urgh..

    Good luck with the house hunting! Wish you the best.
    (Although I dont know you personally, from the posts you have done previously, this house feels like you).
    -Bea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bea~
      I can't even imagine house hunting in the San Francisco area! Sticker shock to say the least! If I'm not mistaken, aren't you originally from NY? Asking because the sticker shock may be slightly less "shocking" if you are.
      And you're right, this house really does feel like me. I'm smitten!

      Delete