Thursday, September 3, 2015

House Hunters: Seeing All The Potential


You guys.
I stumbled across this house on realtor.com and I have to say, I am smitten.
At first glance I thought "Meh, kind of weird house" but I have found myself coming back to this listing again and again. There is something about the layout and quirks of this home that have me feeling like I could really, really make this place a showstopper.

First, the facts.
Located 60 miles southeast of Nashville this farmhouse that more readily resembles a converted barn is located in a town called Wartrace. It was named for an Indian trail that passed through the area and had a whopping 651 residents at the 2010 census. That is exactly 90,599 less people than live in our current town. Talk about a change of lifestyle.
Built in 1985 and situated on almost 8 1/2 acres, this home boasts 4 bedrooms, 3 baths and over 4000 square feet. Bigger than what we were thinking we want/need, there is something about this house that I can't shake. Let's take a look:



I love the open concept of the main living space. It seems a little dark, but with some great overhead lighting and furniture placement, this space could be pretty sharp. Besides, those little narrow windows on the front facade could someday be replaced for larger ones. The exposed beams, the staircase and the flooring all get a thumbs up.


Let's talk about this kitchen for a second since it is one of the most important parts of the house in my opinion. This kitchen immediately makes me think more about Mexican cantinas than a farmhouse and tile countertops are definitely not my jam. The glass doors on the upper cabinets look a little crazy for me too but new glass panels could always be installed. What I love is the brick and the wood beam that runs along the cabinet wall. I don't love that it is an electric stove, but who knows, maybe someday that could be upgraded to gas. Speaking of upgrades, I think that white cabinets, a new solid surface countertop, new overhead lighting, a farmhouse sink and even reclaimed wood shelving instead of upper cabinets combined with all that brick could make this kitchen absolutely gorgeous. We did our own little kitchen upgrade a few years ago and the thought of it doesn't scare me. There's loads of potential here people and some of those things would be easier to add than all that brick work.


This room looks like it is off the kitchen and when I look at it I immediately see a long farmhouse table with a rustic pendant hanging over it. This could be a dreamy place to dine and maybe even have an intimate seating area in. Again, possibilities could be endless.


Head up to the second floor and then there is this.
THIS!
Of course the carpet would have to go, but look at that ceiling! Those windows! There is also a balcony through those French doors. 
This would be where we would put our tv, sectional and make it our family room/den. But wait! Turn around and take a look....


I admit that at first I was like, huh? But now my heart skips a beat when I look at this. Those bookshelves up on that little loft would make the most ideal little library! Maybe there is even space up there to fit a chair. My emerald green leather wingback with a little side table...my wheels are already turning! For a woman who owns over 400 cookbooks alone, this is like a dream come true. 
But wait!
There's more!


Behind those bookshelves is a room. Master bedroom? Office? Guest room? Again, the rug would go but I am loving that ceiling and large window. P-O-S-S-I-B-I-L-I-T-I-E-S


The backyard situation is not too shabby - that's a saltwater pool.


View from the balcony on the 2nd floor and looking at the house from the property.
I think we can agree the lot/land is stunning.


On the plus side:
1. There is a two car detached garage
2. Great amount of land/property
3. A pool is not on our list of "must haves" and a saltwater version gets a thumbs up for being less costly to maintain and a more natural/healthy way to enjoy a pool
4. Although I would want to change some aesthetics of the house, there is nothing that would have to be ripped up/changed  immediately (except maybe those carpets)
5. A great size with quirks to play up to, I am totally digging this house

The negatives:
1. The house is an hour away from both Nashville and Franklin. The Franklin thing matters more. I really, really like Franklin and while I don't necessarily need to live there I would like to be close enough to get in and out when I want to. Plus, my daughter already loves Franklin too and I think my son (who hasn't been to Nashville yet) will feel the same. It would be nice to be close enough for them to work/hang out there if they wanted.
2. It is at the top end of our budget. It has been on the market for a little bit and it doesn't seem like they have budged on the price at all. With the things I would eventually want to upgrade/change it could be tight with the current asking price. Will I be happy with a Mexican Cantina kitchen for the next 10 years if I can't change it? Hmmm....
3. We have not been to Wartrace yet because are doing 99% of this search remotely right now. Will we even like it there?

What do you think? Too funky or enough funk to make it just right?



2 comments:

  1. I love it! It reminds me of Tennessee Swiss Family Robinson! Would you paint the outside? It really just needs a sophisticated hand. A little work and it could be whimsical in a very good way. I'm going to come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be so much fun to go house hunting. What a beautiful house you found!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete