Sunday, March 6, 2016

House Hunters ~ Southern Plantation Vibes


I've probably mentioned this before, but I am a sucker for traditional home design. Growing up in the late 70's and 80's makes me preferential to specific carved out spaces in a home. I love a formal dining room, living room and will always have a soft spot for the good old center hall colonial. When I went to see one that sits on a solid acre in our target location my hopes were high. I knew from the MLS pictures that this one needs updating, but that actually excites me.
We walked through the front door and the first adjective that came to mind was grand. This is a grand home. A family home. Warm, inviting ~ I could see the house filled with family and goodness knows at 3500 square feet it is big enough to fit everyone in ours.
 


 
The floors and moldings in this home are everything. There are pocket doors, swinging doors...for a home built in the 80's it feels more like you are in a historic Southern plantation that was last updated in the 80's. I was completely smitten.
That dining room would give me the opportunity to buy a fabulous wallpaper I am dying to use and just go right over the existing one. I can see it now.
 

The kitchen is tough and has one of the first microwaves that was ever manufactured mounted right into the wall. The space however, is great and the cabinets are top quality. Refinish the cabinets, replace the countertop, backsplash, appliances and flooring and this kitchen could be amazing. Remove the soffit and upper cabinets and you could add windows and open shelving. There are tons of possibilities.
 



Everything is mostly cosmetic work: painting, wallpaper removal, carpets out. Except the bathrooms. They need to be gutted but are livable in the meanwhile. I asked our agent what the ceiling would be for price in this location and let me just say that updating this house could be a very wise investment.
 


You're probably waiting for me to say that we put an offer in on this one or that we are planning to. But there is one problem with this house. It sits on an acre of land but that acre is all in the front yard. As in, there really is no backyard. Look:
 

 
Where do we put our gardens?
Chickens are out of the question in a neighborhood like this.
While the character of the house and the potential investment opportunity make my heart skip a beat my husband would be miserable with this lot.
Location on a scale of 1-10 = 10
House when updated = 10
Lot = 0
And for that reason we move on.
Although I would be more than willing to help whoever buys this house plan the remodel. My head is still reeling with ideas.
Oh, the possibilities!
 
 


16 comments:

  1. Wow, you're right -- that is a GRAND home! That staircase! Those wooden kitchen cabinets! It is pretty weird though to have all that space in the front and none in the back... I'm sorry that it didn't work out. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always interested in innovations in communications, design, entertainment, exploration, health, games, robots, transportation and security. Therefore I like to rad a lot about various events, as you exploring here!
    Pest Control 08820

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you set out to make me think mission accomplished! I really like your writing style and how you express your ideas. Thank you.
    pest control san antonio

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valuable information and excellent design you got here! I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and time into the stuff you post!!Kitchen Cabinet Ft Lauderdale

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see your post .You have presented your thoughts very efficiently.Keep up the excellent work.
    Pest Control

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the update you have nicely covered this topic. keep it up
    pest control calgary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the update you have nicely covered this topic. keep it up
    bed bugs facts calgary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the update you have nicely covered this topic. keep it up
    pest control services calgary

    ReplyDelete
  9. This discussion unexpectedly takes my attention to join inside. Well, after I read all of them, it gives me new idea for my blog. thanks
    bed bugs removal

    ReplyDelete
  10. The blog article very surprised to me! Your writing is good. In this I learned a lot! Thank you!
    Pest Control Services

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good topic, this is going to help a lot of people get the whole concept
    kill bed bugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another helpful post. This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to several more times this year!
    bedbugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration.
    bed bug extermination

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks… I’ve been bookmarking them for a while now and just decided to create a post to provide them to others…
    heat treatment

    ReplyDelete
  15. تختلف انواع الحشرات وعليه تختلف طرق مكافحتها لذلك وفرنا كل السبل لمكافحة الحشرات والقضاء عليها فوفرنا بمدينة الرياض
    شركة مكافحة الفئران بالرياض
    وايضا في مجال رش الدفان شركة رش دفان بالرياض
    وفي مجال القضاء علي الحشرات بمختلف انواعها بالرياض وفرنا شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض
    اما ما يخص مدينتي الخرج وجدة شركة مكافحة حشرات بالخرج
    شركة مكافحة حشرات بجدة
    لاكن كن علي يقين بانك سوف يرتاح بال نهائيا من تلك الحشرات بعد تعاملك معنا

    ReplyDelete