Wednesday, April 27, 2016

A Life Well Lived

 Photo by @koriclarkdesign

On April 9th I flew home to NJ one last time to meet the movers and oversee the pack out of our house. Our closing isn't scheduled until May 2nd but after 6 months apart and a closing date firmly set for May 10th on our farm, it was time to pull the trigger and get my husband to Nashville. #itsaboutdamntime.
My brother and sister in law from upstate NY and my baby brother and his family who live right in town all came over that weekend for one last gathering at our house. Quite apropos because it was those two fellas who helped us move into that house just over 10 years ago and have spent many, many weekends since gathered in that kitchen making memories.


People kept asking me how I was holding up; expecting me to be sad and emotional. And rightly so. I have spent exactly 1/2 of my life living in this very neighborhood. Walking the same sidewalks, biking the same streets. My children attending the same schools I did as a child. So many memories, old and new.
But I wasn't sad at all. In fact, I wasn't even emotional until my brother and sister in law handed us the gorgeous watercolor they commissioned Kori Clark to paint of the house. Beautifully framed to match my hallway gallery of our family photos, both Charlie and I choked up over this sentimental gesture.


When that 18 wheeler pulled up Wednesday morning I was more excited than anything. Let's get this show on the road! was my attitude. I slipped a few new boxes of thrifted treasures into the mix to be professionally packed because let's face it: I have no self control and couldn't help myself on Monday and Tuesday. I even packed up two small boxes of goodies to squeeze into the car for the ride back to Nashville because pop ~ up market. Always thinking ahead. And as I like to say:
 #priorities. 


In between the packing and loading of all our earthly possessions we squeezed in dinners and bittersweet goodbyes with the ones that count the most. All the while I kept thinking about this place and how I couldn't wait to get back home; even knowing that home right now is this awkward little apartment situation we have going on. I can't imagine how much more I will love it when I am settled into my own forever space.


So long little red house. Thank you for being such a great place to raise our little family. I will miss your charm and even your little quirks. If it had been affordable I probably would have picked you up and brought you with us. I hope your new owners treat you well and appreciate you as much as we did. 
Thank you for so many years that were so well lived.


2 comments:

  1. Bittersweet for sure! Looking back at the empty house when you're leaving is so sad! But you'll always have the memories and now that lovely watercolor! What a fabulous gift. Cheers to your new chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On to bigger and better things!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete