Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Ballyhoo & Bedbugs at the City Farmhouse Pop Up Fair


Instagram is a pretty amazing thing.
It is really the only form of social media I use other than blogging. And Twitter naturally, to tweet my 'grams. I love Instagram. Like, love, love, love it. And if you follow me and have seen my over 3,300 pics you are feigning shock and are like, "NO! Not you Eleanor" with your tongue firmly planted in your cheek.
I'm very obsessed.
I am embarrassed to admit that I look at much of life as photos. Weird. And really quite distracting.
But I digress.
As I was saying, Instagram is amazing.
Did you know that when this whole Nashville thing became an actual, real possibility that a woman called @nashvillehomesweethome found my account and arbitrarily liked some of my pictures. It stopped me in my tracks because I thought it was a sign. And it was. She turned out to be a real estate agent. She became our real estate agent when the move became a reality and now all these months later she is more than just my realtor. She has become a dear friend who I hope to have in my life for a very, very long time. We are already hatching plans for summer cocktails on my new deck and our first dinner party as any good friends should be doing.
The first week I was here we headed out to look at houses and along the way she suggested we stop by a pop up market in Leiper's Fork hosted by @cityfarmhouse . I was excited to see, in person, some of these community events I had long been following on Instagram and the market did not disappoint. The magic of Leiper's Fork combined with vendors displaying vintage and handmade goods in the most incredibly aesthetically pleasing way and I thought my heart was going to explode. Think Anthropologie~esc display and styling status. Incredible. Me, being the very visual person I am, meandered from tent to tent while my eyes welled with tears. I knew down deep inside I had found my people. The pivotal moment I realized I belonged here.
Fast forward to December and Kim from City Farmhouse posted on Instagram that they were accepting applications for their 2016 markets. I read the requirements which included submitting photos of your past booths and hesitated because I have never done a market before.
But I so could.
Wait, could I???
At my husbands urging (because I couldn't answer the questions what do you have to lose? And, if you're rejected, so what? But honey, no one wants to be rejected...) I put together a small portfolio of table settings and vignettes I have styled. I wrote a few words explaining that I have never done a market but was confident (gulp! was I?) in my ability to meet their standards. To my surprise and delight they offered me a contract within a few hours!
So friends, that is why the vintage hoard continues to grow at an alarming rate while we live on airbeds and camp chairs. I have been stuffing my car with vintage and hitting all my NJ haunts on each trip home. No room to bring back frivolous things like furnishings. There are movers doing that.
We can rough it for a few more weeks.

You will be able to find me on June 17th and 18th at The City Farmhouse Pop Up Market at The Factory at Franklin. Friday the 17th is an evening preview event and Saturday is the all day market.

 
The most exciting (and terrifying) part is planning what my booth will look like. The sheer idea of it was scary at first, but like decorating a room or setting a table, once I came up with my inspiration/theme I was off and running.
More on that later. Can't wait to reveal some of what is inspiring me and the "pieces" that got the ball rolling.
For now y'all better start Kayaking, or Expedia~ing or whatever it is you need to do to make your travel plans to beautiful Franklin, Tennessee.
I'll be looking for you to stop by the booth and say "hi".
I'm holding onto some of the bestest finds for this one. Stuff I can't even believe I am going to part with and haven't listed because I don't want them to sell prior to the event.
See? Now you have to come.

2 comments:

  1. How exciting! Congratulations! Can't wait to see your area! If you need help sourcing anything in particular, let me know. You know I keep tabs on my local inventory quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Stephen! It's all about black, white, pink and gold for this one but more on that later. I have been struggling to find flatware lately. Mix match pieces, full sets...any tips on flatware would be much appreciated. ballyhooandbedbugs@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete