Saturday, October 29, 2016

Life Goals


Every night I set my alarm clock for 4am with the intention of rising early in order to have some me  time before the crazy of the day begins. If I'm up at 4, I have enough time to sip my coffee, relax a bit in front of the computer, exercise and maybe even blow out my hair because sometimes I like to look presentable when I go to work.
I am a visual person so as I doze off I mentally walk through what the next morning will look like; from boiling the water for the coffee to the healthy lunch I will pack myself to the six pack abs I will have as a result of all that hard earned exercise. I think of ways I can be good to others and how I can leave the world just a little bit better off than it was the day before because I always like to do my part. I eventually drift off into dreamland happy, confident and proud of how ambitious and on point I am.
The reality is that every single morning I hit snooze until 6:30/ quarter to 7. When I am finally able to drag myself out of bed I am super stiff and achy because two dogs lay by my feet limiting my movement for a solid 8 hours. I let them out, hobble into the kitchen to put the kettle on and head downstairs to feed Frankie. By then the kettle is usually boiling and as I pour the water over the coffee grounds I will sometimes remember a forgotten load of wash that now smells like mildew so I have to rerun it on the sanitize option in order to get the stink out. You know it's bad when your family inquires if their clothes smell when you come carrying a freshly folded pile of laundry into their rooms.
By the time the carafe is filled it's light enough to let the chickens out so I throw on wellies and head out to the barn and the coop. The ladies come dashing out and wildly prance around getting their morning exercise while I am out of breathe with legs that feel like jelly just walking back up the hill to the house. So much for that six pack. I maybe have 15 minutes to sit and suck down my coffee before jumping in the shower and getting dressed. My super curly unbrushed hair that I have been shoving into a bun everyday has dreadlocked itself which means I will have to spend extra time trying brush them out someday soon or maybe I say the hell with it and just start wearing my nose ring again and going with my own brand of a 40 something punk/ alternative look? Decisions, decisions.
Breakfast tends to be a pack of animal crackers or fruit snacks eaten in the car on a generally long drive to wherever I am working that day. After a "healthy" breakfast like that it only makes sense to eat some kind of fast food for lunch so there's that. If I'm lucky sometimes I make it home before the sun sets, figure out if we will follow through with our meal plan for the night or just have what we have dubbed a "fend for yourself" night  (because thanks to all the highly nutritious stuff I consumed during the day I am sometimes not even hungry). I maybe have about 2 hours to hang out with the family before bed time and setting that alarm for 4am because tomorrow will surely, surely be different, right?
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different result isn't it? Just checking.....
My follow through to these best laid plans may be pathetic but a few Sundays ago as we drove to church I decided out of the blue that I was going to treat them all to kick ass grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch when we got home. No one got their hopes up thanks to my recent track record of follow through. This mildly annoyed me because I am an ambitious woman who can do anything she puts her mind to. I would show them. A few hours later I fried bacon, sliced tomatoes, saved a gorgeous loaf of artisan baked bread from molding and took great care to layer an extra slice of cheese on each sandwich (because melted cheese of course) when I realized that I may not cross things off on my to do list, be on top of everything I want to be on point with or to even be the upstanding social citizen I wish I was (sometimes recycling is annoying and I don't let people pull out in front of me when driving because they might be too slow), but dammit: when push comes to shove I can make one hell of a grilled cheese sandwich when I want to.
That my friends, is success. I'll take it where I can get it.
(Just turn your eyes from the dirty dishes that are probably still in the sink)

12 comments:

  1. Ooooh I want a grilled cheese. A few weeks ago I made grilled cheeses with sautéed leeks mixed in the beautiful white cheddar....and....cream cheese. I agree-take the victories wherever they arise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cream cheese? I have never, ever heard of that. Down here I have heard talk of using mayo on the outside of the bread instead of butter but cream cheese???

      Delete
  2. sounds like you are taking to farm life uite well E. i certainly miss a grilled cheese when you put it like that...
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet! Now to just figure out some of the issues regarding work.... ;)

      Delete
  3. It's not you. It's the typical life of a dual-career family. Ever since we left the Leave It To Beaver era behind behind, everyone is pressed for more time that isn't ever there.

    I remember when men would go off to work and expect to relax when they got home. They didn't need to worry about dinner, laundry, or even breakfast the next day.

    But when women went to work, all expectations of relaxing and not doing a darn thing once they returned home went out the window.

    That's my cheery message for the day. But yeah, there's nothing wrong with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorri,
      Thanks, because it's easy to feel like a big fat loser. I did a better job juggling it all when my kids were small. Now they are big, more independent and I am a hot mess. What gives?

      Delete
    2. I think it's called "getting older". ;)

      I only discovered your blog a few months ago, and seldom comment. But I have been blown away by how fast you have revamped your new house while working full-time, and still doing a lot of cooking and some entertaining!!!

      You seem like a whirlwind to me. :)

      Delete
    3. The getting older business is definitely for the birds!
      Thank you for your sweet comment. There's still so much to do, especially outside. It's a labor of love though and that makes all the difference!

      Delete
  4. I used to try to go to a sit-down restaurant when I worked outside the house just to get some respite in the middle of the day.

    But if you're going for fast food, have you tried the salads at Chic-fil-a? I never went there until I read an article rating fast-food salads that rated theirs the highest. They were right. They are restaurant quality and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't get the whole Chik-fil-a thing. I will get the cobb salad if there is nothing else but it's not my favorite.
      We have a place called Newk's that has franchises in some of the places where I travel and I usually get their Simply Salad with grilled salmon. Naturally, I also have their giant Rice Krispie treat for dessert. But everything in moderation I suppose.
      In fact, I just scarfed down said salad and rice krispie treat here in NW Arkansas tonight! :)

      Delete
    2. I live in a teeny tiny town, so even getting a Chic-fil-a was an event. I get the Grilled Market Salad. I know someone who loves the Spicy Southwest Salad.

      That said, I definitely prefer sit-down restaurants or even take-out from sit-down restaurants. I hate being in a hurry. We have a handful of really good restaurants including one that makes an addictive salad with greens, chicken, candied pecans, blue cheese, pears, strawberries and a spicy Mango dressing. Yum!

      Delete
    3. I agree but my true joy is in cooking at home which I intend o indulge in all weekend! :)

      Delete